Review: A Darkness Strange and Lovely by Susan Dennard


A Darkness Strange and Lovely by: Susan Dennard

Following an all-out battle with the walking Dead, the Spirit Hunters have fled Philadelphia, leaving Eleanor alone to cope with the devastating aftermath. But there’s more trouble ahead—the evil necromancer Marcus has returned, and his diabolical advances have Eleanor escaping to Paris to seek the help of Joseph, Jie, and the infuriatingly handsome Daniel once again. When she arrives, however, she finds a whole new darkness lurking in this City of Light. As harrowing events unfold, Eleanor is forced to make a deadly decision that will mean life or death for everyone.

Something Strange and Deadly was one of my absolute favorite reads of 2012 and I was eagerly anticipating this sequel and when it released, I ran out to buy it and proceeded to read it in less than a day. Anywayyyy, I adored the sequel just as much as book 1!

After a bloodbath between the Spirit Hunters and the Dead, Eleanor is left all alone in Philadelphia, trying to get through the aftermath by herself. When the instigator of it all, the necromancer Marcus, returns, Eleanor must go to Paris to join Daniel, Jie, and Joseph if she wants any chance of surviving. Along the way, she meets new…people and must decide for herself who she can trust, or the results will be deadly.

As always, Eleanor is a take-charge girl. I loved the transformation we see in her which makes her even stronger and more independent. She had to spend some of the book making decisions without anyone’s guidance to help her. I couldn’t even imagine being in her situation. Poor girl. She was absolutely great in this installment and I can’t wait to see how much more she grows in book 3!

Daniel is very different in this sophomore novel but mainly just in appearances. He changed when he got to Paris, but inside, he is the same boy with adorably sandy hair and a cute way of talking. He wasn’t in the book in the beginning, but he sure knows how to make an appearance. I certainly missed my Daniel!

We meet an influx of new characters, some of them good and some of them terrifyingly evil. Don’t wanna spoil who’s who though. :) I was glad to see the reappearance of Allison and my opinion of Eleanor’s mother did not improve whatsoever in this book. I didn’t have high hopes that she would be better, but I was still clinging onto my hope.

One of my favorite parts about this book is the setting. Dennard knows how to make the reader feel like they are physically in the 1870’s and I found I never wanted to leave. The clothing, the architecture and just…everything was perfection. And the romance? Stolen moments and words not said make up the relationship between Eleanor and Daniel. And I love every second of it. I’m so excited to see what happens between them next.

Also, who doesn’t love these covers? They are my favorite covers ever. Stunninggggg. And I also love the names. It’s safe to say that this is one of my favorite series ever.

Since I don’t have my copy with me now, I can’t post my favorite swoon-worthy quote. But it’ll be remedied whenever I get the chance!
A Darkness Strange and Lovely (Something Strange and Deadly, #2)
Rating: 5/5 Tar Heels!

0 comments:

Post a Comment