Review: The Winner's Curse by Marie Rutkoski

Winning what you want may cost you everything you love 

As a general’s daughter in a vast empire that revels in war and enslaves those it conquers, seventeen-year-old Kestrel has two choices: she can join the military or get married. But Kestrel has other intentions.

One day, she is startled to find a kindred spirit in a young slave up for auction. Arin’s eyes seem to defy everything and everyone. Following her instinct, Kestrel buys him—with unexpected consequences. It’s not long before she has to hide her growing love for Arin.

But he, too, has a secret, and Kestrel quickly learns that the price she paid for a fellow human is much higher than she ever could have imagined.

Set in a richly imagined new world, The Winner’s Curse by Marie Rutkoski is a story of deadly games where everything is at stake, and the gamble is whether you will keep your head or lose your heart.
As soon as I saw this beautiful cover and read the intriguing synopsis, I knew I had to have it. And I was not disappointed!

“Isn’t that what stories do, make real things fake, and fake things real?”

Kestrel is not your typical badass heroine who can kill someone extremely fast but she is extremely clever. She is cunning and is an expert on all things military. I really liked when she showed her soft side and became vulnerable because usually she had on a strong coat of armor. All in all, I really liked her.

“He knew the law of such things: people in brightly lit places cannot see into the dark.”

Arin was definitely my favorite character. I loved the way he held himself despite his low status in society. He has got a great and caring heart despite the way he has been treated. I absolutely hated the things that he had to go through.

The plot, a slave and his mistress, was extremely unique and something I’ve not read about before. I was actually quite hesitant to read it, but I really had no reason to be. The writing was hauntingly beautiful. I wish the writing was in 1st POV instead of 3rd because I feel I could have related more to the characters. The romance was extremely slow developing and very intricate, especially because of their respective statuses. But I loved when it finally all came together.

I am dying for book 2, especially to see the what I’m sure to be a beautiful cover! Have you guys read The Winner’s Curse? What did y’all think?

Favorite Swoon-worthy Quote: She leaned forward, and kissed his temple. Arin’s hand held her lightly to him. His cheek slid against hers. Then his lips touched her brow, her closed eyes, the line where her jaw met her throat. Kestrel’s mouth found his. His lips were salted with her tears, and the taste of that, of him, of their deepening kiss, filled her with the feeling of his quiet laugh moments ago. Of a wild softness, a soft wildness.
The Winner's Curse (The Winner's Trilogy, #1)
Rating: 4.5/5 Tar Heels!

1 comment:

  1. I liked this book as well, although not quite as much as you did. I remember being really annoyed by Arin (sorry!!) a lot of times. I'm glad you liked it so much though, Annie and fantastic review!

    Lola @Seeing Night Reviews

    ReplyDelete