Review: Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard


The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.

To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.

Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre of those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.

But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, who will win?

Holy crap. So I just finished Red Queen and my mind is still reeling! I honestly am so confused about the last 15% of the book and super angry that Victoria Aveyard tricked me!

Mare Barrow is red-blooded, which means she is in the lower class, looked down upon, and ordinary. Silver-blooded people have special powers. But in reality, she is something special – she has red blood but extraordinary powers that a Silver would have. I thought she was a strong character, even though she made some mistakes. Maybe she was too trusting (LIKE ME) but I am sure she will learn from that in the future. I can’t wait to see her growth. I am just afraid she will never open her heart again.

Cal and Maven – the princes, the king’s children. Kilorn – Mare’s BFF. Julian – her instructor. Shade – her brother. Who is her betrayer and who is her savior? I was completely, 100% sure of my answer for MOST of the book, then my world was crushed. This was me…


How DARE you? My heart will never be the same again, I’m afraid. I have never been so surprised ever while reading a book, although I guess I shouldn’t have been so trusting like Mare. I saw on some reviews on Goodreads that we have another Darkling on our hands – while I agree with this, I would go so far as to say that we have something much more evil than the Darkling in our midst. Bewareeee…

The writing in Red Queen is beautiful. Fantasy books are my absolute favorite genre of young adult, and Aveyard executes it masterfully. The world building was imaginative, and I really got the divide between the Red and the Silvers right off the bat. I felt the pain of Mare’s family and the despair that they have to endure just because of their blood color. It’s brutal and I felt everything. The romance is interesting to say the least… You think you know how it is going then BAM! PLOT TWIST.

The next book needs to come out like now! Seriously, Victoria Aveyard is one to watch out for.

Favorite Quote: (no swoony quote because my heart hurts!) Shock him, light him up, I scream in my head. But nothing happens. The miracle isn’t going to save me again. The heat grows, threatening to crush the air from my lungs. I survived lightning today; I don’t want to press my luck with fire. But it’s the smoke that’s going to kill me. Thick and black and much too strong, choking me. My vision swirls, and my eyelids grow heavy. I hear footsteps, shouting, the roar of fire as the world darkens.
Red Queen (Red Queen, #1)
Rating: 5/5 Tar Heels!

0 comments:

Post a Comment