Review: Shattered Souls by Mary Lindsey


Shattered Souls by Mary Lindsey

Goodreads Synopsis:

A thrilling debut story of death, love, destiny, and danger

Lenzi hears voices and has visions - gravestones, floods, a boy with steel gray eyes. Her boyfriend, Zak, can't help, and everything keeps getting louder and more intense. Then Lenzi meets Alden, the boy from her dreams, who reveals that she's a reincarnated Speaker - someone who can talk to and help lost souls - and that he has been her Protector for centuries.

Now Lenzi must choose between her life with Zak and the life she is destined to lead with Alden. But time is running out: a malevolent spirit is out to destroy Lenzi, and he will kill her if she doesn't make a decision soon.

Review:

I liked this book enough, but it definitely was not one of my favorites. I thought the romance was lacking spark, and as interesting as the plot sounds, it was really hard to fully immerse myself in the book.

Lenzi thinks that she is going crazy because she is hearing voices that no one else hears. When at a cemetery with her boyfriend Zak, she meets the mysterious Alden who can explain the voices. She learns that she is a Speaker, who is someone who can help lost souls that cannot pass on, and that Alden is her protector, who helps her accomplish this. When an evil spirit who she has not been able to destroy for years finds her again, she must fight it with Alden at her side, no matter the cost.

See? Doesn’t that sound awesome? Don’t get me wrong, I liked it. Lenzi Rose a strong heroine who would never stop at anything to protect the ones she loves. I didn’t like her when she just up and dropped Zak after meeting Alden. I felt horrible for him. Poor guy. Oh well. Again, I liked Alden enough. He was cute, and you could tell he really cared for Lenzi. He just wasn’t amazing. There wasn’t much characterization for Lenzi’s mother or really anyone else. The evil spirit was a cool story though.

I thought the plot was done before. I do like the idea of reincarnated souls, and this was an interesting take on it. I liked the idea of a Speaker and a Protector. I enjoyed that she did not have her memories from past lives, so that made the story more exciting. She had to learn to figure out her own feelings from this cycle, with no input from last cycles.

The romance… it was cute. Again, aside from her not having her old memories, it was still insta-love. In this case it did not really work. I felt rushed into feeling something deep for the couple, and I was just not ready for it. It needed to be built up more.

All in all, this was a good book. I’m not gonna lie, the only reason I finished it so fast was because I wanted to start the Evolution of Mara Dyer, not because I was hooked.
Shattered Souls (Souls #1)
Rating: 3/5 Tar Heels!

0 comments:

Post a Comment