Review: Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout


Review: Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Goodreads Synopsis:

Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…

Review:

After reading Obsidian, the first book in the series (see review here), I didn’t think anything could beat its amazingness. Well clearly I was wrong, because Onyx is even better!

After being connected to Daemon after he saved her, Katy can feel every time he comes around. Which is a lot. Katy experiences backlashes of being healed by a alien, and Daemon has set his mind on proving their connection is more feeling-and-attractedness-based than weirdo-alien-powered-based. Of course, Katy is wary of Daemon’s charm, but her defenses are constantly worn down. Meanwhile, the Department of Defense is up to something, and Katy is lost until she can put together the pieces. But will it be too late?

Katy is just every bit as awesome as she is in Obsidian. She is definitely not one of those step all over heroines; she is a take action chick. She absolutely despises when anyone tells her what to do, which I absolutely admire about her. I love that she’s a book blogger! It adds a nice touch! Although she says she does not care for Daemon in that way, it is obviously apparent to me as well as the rest of the human and alien world.

As much as I adored snarky, arrogant Daemon (which I still do!), I got to see a completely new side of him. Sweet and caring, Daemon will do anything for Katy. But don’t worry, the fights between Katy and Daemon are still ever-present. He has a super jealous side that is shown even more in this installment, but it is really sweet. He leaves Katy little surprises, like foods she loves, and it makes my heart flutter! Daemon is pretty much perfect in every way.

Blake, a newcomer, is definitely a wildcard. The whole time, I’m debating whether he has Katy’s best interests in mind. Dee is not as present in this book, but when she is, her bubbliness jumps off the page. Adam was really a pleasant surprise; I think he really takes a liking to Katy! Andrew and Ash…well they are a different story. Her mother is dating again, which definitely makes her happy.

The plot is riveting the whole book. I felt it was like a puzzle in my head, and I was constantly trying to figure it out before I got all the answers. I never found myself bored at all, and I was constantly making time to read. The romance is sizzlin’ hot and their sexual tension honestly is one of the best I have ever read. Daemon is so dang swoon-worthy, and I loved every minute of their conversations and their non-conversations, if you know what I mean ;). I spend my time either wanting to kick them for being so stubborn or reveling in the cuteness of their relationship.

If you haven’t started this series yet, you are missing one of the best book experiences I have had in my life. I feel so connected with the characters, and they stay with me long after I’ve read the book. But of course, it’s Jennifer Armentrout, and everything she writes is amazing.

Favorite Swoon-worthy Quote: I kissed him softly, sliding my hands into his silky locks, letting the pieces slide through my fingers. I tasted in him my own rising desire, my own need and heartache. Thrilling. Frightening. I pulled back. “Kitten,” he said again, voice strained. “You don’t get to do that and then stop. That’s not how it works.” I stared at him, my breath stalling in my lungs. “Not when you’re mine.” Daemon backed us up and slid down the wall, pulling me onto his lap so I was straddling him. “And you’re mine.”
Onyx (Lux, #2)
Rating: 5/5 Tar Heels!

0 comments:

Post a Comment