2013 Paranormal Challenge: Review- Bloodlines by Richelle Mead


Bloodlines by: Richelle Mead
Goodreads Synopsis:

Blood doesn't lie...

Sydney is an alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of human and vampires. They protect vampire secrets - and human lives. When Sydney is torn from her bed in the middle of the night, at first she thinks she's still being punished for her complicated alliance with dhampir Rose Hathaway. But what unfolds is far worse. Jill Dragomir - the sister of Moroi Queen Lissa Dragomir - is in mortal danger, and the Moroi must send her into hiding. To avoid a civil war, Sydney is called upon to act as Jill's guardian and protector, posing as her roommate in the last place anyone would think to look for vampire royalty - a human boarding school in Palm Springs, California. But instead of finding safety at Amberwood Prep, Sydney discovers the drama is only just beginning...

Review:

After my friend introduced me to the Vampire Academy series two years ago, I was a goner. I lived and breathed those books for about a week until I was finished with the whole series. When I heard of the spin-off series, I was wary to say the least. I held off reading it, but when I did, I had the very same problem of devouring the books, and I’ve never looked back.

Sydney, the Alchemist from the previous series, is now back among her people and is given a new mission to show her loyalty to her superiors after her screw-up in Last Sacrifice. Her assignment is to watch over Jill Dragomir, the sister of the vampire Moroi queen, Lissa, in order to keep a civil war from happening. She moves to California, enrolls in a boarding school, and expects a relatively smooth job. When she finds a mystery surrounding unexplainable tattoos, she discovers that the Alchemist world and what she has been taught her whole life is far from perfect.

Sydney is so much different from Rose in many ways. She is the smartest heroine I have ever encountered, and she is so pristine and good-natured. She thinks about every decision, its options and consequences, deeply, and she does not act rashly. But don’t get me wrong, she is willing to get dirty if need be. I would not say that she is innocent, but I do think that she does not understand other people her age. It’s quite hilarious to watch her interactions with her fellow classmates. She has been taught a very strict set of rules and values since she was born, told that vampires are ungodly and horrible creatures. I definitely could see her inner struggle between what she was taught and what she experiences with the vampires and the dhampirs she spends all her time with.

Adrian is just as perfect as ever in this series. He had his heart broken and is still recovering from it. He is still an enigma, and I am sure I will never encounter anyone, in books or real life, that comes even close to Adrian. He is such a deep character, and I never could have predicted his amazingness. He has a drive to become more than what people expect of him, and it is really inspiring.

I loved having part of the cast from Vampire Academy series return in Bloodlines. Eddie is Jill’s guardian, and he is so protective of her.  Jill has grown up a bit from when we saw her last, and she is still really sweet. I love her and Adrian’s interactions. Clarence, the vampire who lives in Palm Springs, is such a kind old man, but he definitely has a couple screws loose. His son, Lee, is a weirdo. His actions are confusing and I don’t understand him at all. I think Sydney’s teacher, Ms. Terwilliger, is quirky and funny, and I think she will be very important in the coming books.

The plot is exciting, and there were a couple mysteries. I had no idea how they would get solved, and the ending kept me on the edge of my seat. The writing is of course wonderful as always, and while I loved Rose’s voice in Vampire Academy, Sydney’s was really unique. The romance was not super prominent in this book, but there are inklings of what is to come in book 2. There was no insta-love, which is probably one of my favorite aspects of this series. It is built slowly and on friendship. Their banter is funny, and Adrian is one person that Sydney can let loose around. Sydney is kinda clueless when it comes to guys, and I loved seeing that come across in her thoughts.

After I read this book, I immediately ran out and bought The Golden Lily. This book made Bloodlines quickly become one of my favorites series ever. If you haven’t read Vampire Academy, I highly suggest it before digging into this spin-off series. Richelle Mead is a genius, and this is hands down the best vampire series I have ever read.

Favorite Swoon-worthy Quote: “My god, Sage. Your eyes. How have I never noticed them?” That uncomfortable feeling was spreading over me again. “What about them?” “The color,” he breathed. “When you stand in the light. They’re amazing…like molten gold. I could paint those…” He reached toward me but then pulled back. “They’re beautiful. You’re beautiful.”
Bloodlines (Bloodlines, #1)
Rating: 5/5 Tar Heels!

0 comments:

Post a Comment