Review: Undeadly by Michele Vail


Undeadly by: Michele Vail

Goodreads Synopsis:

The day I turned 16, my boyfriend-to-be died. I brought him back to life. Then things got a little weird...

Molly Bartolucci wants to blend in, date hottie Rick and keep her zombie-raising abilities on the down-low. Then the god Anubis chooses her to become a reaper—and she accidentally undoes the work of another reaper, Rath. Within days, she's shipped off to the Nekyia Academy, an elite boarding school that trains the best necromancers in the world. And her personal reaping tutor? Rath.

Life at Nekyia has its plusses. Molly has her own personal ghoul, for one. Rick follows her there out of the blue, for another...except, there's something a little off about him. When students at the academy start to die and Rath disappears, Molly starts to wonder if anything is as it seems. Only one thing is certain—-Molly's got an undeadly knack for finding trouble...

Review:

Although I did have higher hopes for this book, it was a nice, easy read, with some really interesting mythology. Plus reapers…I now love reapers.

Molly has just turned 16, and on the night of her birthday, her wanna-be boyfriend dies…and she brings him back to life after she is chosen to be a reaper. She is then sent to Nekyia Academy where she trains to be a reaper with Rath, a hunky dude. She has a personal ghoul that will do whatever her heart desires, and she makes some nice friends. She must find out why students are dying at the Academy before she becomes dead herself.

Molly was very young and somewhat annoying. Some of the things she said and the way she acted sometimes was very juvenile. I suppose that she did have some rough changes trust upon her, but that didn’t give her any right to act like a brat. Below that, she has a sweet heart. She was quite funny and enjoyable at times, and she definitely had an interesting voice.

Rath, in my opinion, was my favorite character. He was sweet and funny and charismatic and very good-looking. He was a good mentor to Molly. He also a pretty kick-ass fighter. I wish he could have been more present during this book, and I hope we see much more of him in book 2.

Rick, her semi-boyfriend, was actually pretty sweet. He clearly liked Molly, and I felt bad for him. At first, I didn’t like her grandparents because they were snobby, but they were just looking out for Molly’s best interests. I thought her sister was a typical little baby sister. Molly really looked out for her, just like I look out for my baby sis. I liked her father and his mother; they cared for Molly, despite everything.

I was so excited to read a book about reapers, so I absolutely adored the premise, especially the mythology about Anubis. The plot, at times, was hard to follow, so it was difficult for me to fully immerse myself into the book. The romance was not as big of a part as I would have liked. There were some cute scenes between Molly and Rath, and I can’t wait to see where that goes in the next book. I love that he calls her brown eyes...adorable.

While this was not one of my favorite books, I am really looking forward to Unchosen, the next installment. I'm hoping to see an increase in Molly's matureness and much more romance. This was a cute, light read with some very cool mythology thrown in.

Favorite Swoon-worthy Quote: “Are you coming back to independent study?” He looked down at me, his gaze glittering with that odd, dark emotion. It set my heart to tripping. “Do you want me to?” he asked in a soft voice. I could’ve been a smart ass. I could’ve been a liar. But instead, I said, “Yes, Rath. I want you to.” The arm around my waist pulled me in tighter, and I was pressed more firmly against him.
Undeadly (The Reaper Diaries, #1)
Rating: 3.5/5 Tar Heels!

0 comments:

Post a Comment